And We're Back!
Last Wednesday, a really crappy day to say the least, I had finished checking things out online and had closed the computer and pushed it towards the center of the table to eat my lunch. Katelynn was finished with lunch and was sitting next to me, excitedly looking through her photo album. Periodically she'd squeal, "That's Kay-kin!" or "That's my mommy!" or "That's my daddy!" It was really cute until she pushed the album just a little bit. And that's when the chain reaction happened all in slow-motion. The album gently bumped into my glass of water. (Anyone that knows me knows that I'm the slowest eater or drinker ever.) Then there went the water...gushing all over the closed laptop.
I did manage to grab about 5 dishtowels to sop up the water and then turned the computer on to see if it would work. Um, no.
Then came the dreaded thought. I have to tell Matt and I don't know how he is going to react. All the while, Katelynn's eyes are as big as saucers and she was repeatedly saying, "I sorry Mommy!" It was an honest, complete accident. I wasn't mad at her at all. I mean, I was the doofus that had my full glass of water between her and the computer.
I psych myself up to call Matt at work and repeatedly tell myself not to cry on the phone. Yeah, right. I'm 8 months pregnant and it doesn't take much normally to make me cry, let alone how I am right now! He was at lunch so somehow I left a blubbering message about the computer. Amazingly he understood it and called back. He gave me some tips on drying the computer out and I did what he told me to, but to no avail. The laptop was toast.
All worked out in the end. Matt found a new laptop and obviously it came in today. I actually set it up so at least I could go online and be connected to the outside world. And I've learned my lesson. No glasses of any liquid anywhere near the table...ever.

2 comments:
Claire spilled coffee in BJ's laptop once. The best thing to do is IMMEDIATELY turn it upside down, to try to get the liquid to go away from all the important computer components. Keep it upside down until you're sure it's dry - several days - and then try to power it up.
In your case, since it was closed, I would've opened it up, too. The idea is to get all the water to drain out via the keyboard.
So sorry about your laptop, that totally sucks. Can't believe you're already 8 months gone. WOW!
Well, I turned it on once I had dried it off. Yeah, pretty stupid of me, but I panicked! It acted like it was going to turn on but wouldn't. I talked to Matt and he gave me the same advice you did, along with using a hair dryer on it on the lowest setting, which I did. After 24 hours we tried turning it on again, but that time it wouldn't even flicker.
But we've got a brand-new one and it's pretty nice. We like it.
Yep...8 months...I look like there's a bowling ball stuck up my shirt. I feel like there's a bowling ball there too...one that moves and likes to punch my bladder.
Eh, it's all worth it and I'm enjoying the semi-quiet and nights of actual 8 hours or so of sleep now. I know it's all going to change soon. :)
Post a Comment