Thursday, June 19, 2008

In the garden with Katelynn

In the recent weeks we've experienced nearly daily afternoon showers. That's been great for my herb garden as well as my tomato and bell pepper plant. The weeds have also been doing fabulously. Our front yard was beginning to look like a jungle. Even though we live in the tropics, we try to take care that it does not look like we live in the tropics.

This morning I decided it would be a good idea to weed the front of the house. We had major rain last night. It was the steady pitter-patter against the window that helps you fall asleep. I knew it would make for easy weed pulling. Another factor was that it would get Katelynn outside, her favorite place in the world and away from the tv without a fuss.

I managed to weed the worst of the weeds, mainly the big area out front. I've been keeping up the flower & herb gardens pretty well. Katelynn had great fun. First she played with her chalk for 2 seconds. Then she ran back inside. I ran after her. She wanted a snack. In go the goldfish into a little cup. Back outside. She sat down ate two or three goldfish. I began to weed and then she ran back inside. I ran after her. She wanted a drink. Apple juice & water go into the sippy cup. I shoo her outside. She sat down, began to drink the juice. I go back to weeding. Katelynn then pops up and runs to my tomato plant that had 3 orangish-red tomatoes that were still ripening. (Note the use of past tense.) Katelynn then harvests all 3 tomatoes, sitting them down on the sidewalk one by one. I'm a little grr'd, but not too bad since they can continue ripening on the counter inside. She then proceeds to take a bite out of them, but then spits it out because they're not ripe enough. After 3 more trips inside to retrieve a straw hat for Katelynn, more goldfish & more juice. I finished weeding the front. Katelynn then saw something of interest in the front herb/veggie garden....a lone orange bell pepper on the plant. She harvested that as well. By this point I had grabbed the camera because she looked so cute in her hat. Here's the pictures afterwards.

gardenkatelynn61908

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

CUTE pictures!! I can't wait to visit in a couple of weeks! 12 days, to be more precise! :)

Kristy Lawrance said...

Those pictures are almost professional-looking. Especially the b&w

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention the other day too that I LOVE the little straw hat! :)

One more week!!! Woohoo!!!

Erin said...

Kristy...ah, the wonders of Picasa!