Saturday, November 01, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I don't know if this is just common to 2 1/2 year olds or if it's particular to Katelynn. We went to Target a few weeks ago and she actually helped us pick out her Halloween outfit. She was so happy with it that she tried to pull off her clothes and try on the outfit right there in the store. Of course she wasn't happy when we wouldn't let her do that, but we quickly distracted her, paid for the outfit and came home. We thought once she was home she would like to try on the outfit. We were wrong. Occasionally throughout the month of October we tried to convince her to try it on and we were met with tears and a firm "Nooo!"

Last night, Matt hadn't gotten home yet, so it was up to me to get her fed, bathed and in the costume before 6 o'clock. Fall Fest at the church started at 6:30pm. We had several calm talks about how we were going to eat dinner, take a bath and then calmly put on the costume so Katelynn could get candy that night. All was well until I put the dress before her and attempted to put the dress on her. Hysterical screaming began and was so loud that I didn't hear Matt come in the house. I was feeling rather calm, but totally perplexed how in the world were we going to get this costume on her. Matt quickly took over and calmed her down. "We need to try a different approach," he said. He suggested that I get her trick or treat pumpkin and put some candy in it. We showed her what was in store for her if she put on the costume. We gave her a bit of chocolate and lo and behold he got that costume on her without a fuss! She didn't even try to rebel afterwards by attempting to take it off. She was good as gold!

All night long she was happy at the Fall Fest, seeing friends, playing games and grabbing candy. She got compliments on her costume from everyone, even when we went to the wholesale club for monthly shopping afterwards.

This morning I was getting her ready for the day, trying to get her ready for the day and she ran to the closet where I had put her costume up. She pointed to the costume and said (I think), "I wear! I wear!" I think she wanted to go trick or treating again. Ha!

Sorry about the quantity and possible blurriness of the pictures. Katelynn's getting too fast for my camera.

Halloween2008

3 comments:

Joy said...

Sad for you to hear the screaming. But, good job getting it on!

Erin said...

That was all Matt. :)

Anonymous said...

well, that's a princess for you, right? she was just playing her role - a little too well.