Temp Agencies, Temp Agencies Everywhere!
Job hunting. The Final Frontier. To boldly go where no man wants to be...at an interview!
I've been putting my resume out there in cyberspace like crazy. Now all the temp agencies are calling me. And that is a good thing I suppose. I had one experience yesterday where the temp agency office manager wanted to know what was making that strange "schhhh" sound when I spoke. Did I have something in my mouth? Um, no. No warm fuzzies here towards her. That was in the morning.
That afternoon before I went to my semi-annual dental torture session (i.e. 6 month cleaning), a second temp agency called me to come down to West Palm for an interview. I totally hit it off with that office manager and never once did she say anything about my voice or how I spoke. She was a very nice lady.
This afternoon after my interview with temp agency #2 I received a call from temp agency #3. They do have a potential construction admin job lined up that is 5-10 minutes south of where I worked before. Here's the kicker...they are looking for former WCI employees. Don't ask me why. So next week I get to go into temp agency #3 sign up, do the evals, etc and then I get to immediately go to an interview with the new company.
I hope it works out with this new company. The commute is about right (5 to 10 minutes more is no biggie) and possibly more importantly, the price is right. The salary is very comparable to what I made before. Keep your fingers crossed!!!!!
Also this may be news to some, but especially after yesterday I am so self-conscious of how I speak. Thankfully it doesn't register to most people. I've had numerous discussions with various dentists about the speech impediment and they've all said the same thing that braces would do a world of good. Since I was in to see the dentist, we of course talked about it and what all would need to be corrected before I got braces. But I think when I start working again, I am going in for a consultation with an orthodontist. Consultations are usually pain free. :)
My speech problem isn't a matter of technique, it's a matter of the mouth being shaped incorrectly and I can't alter that (at least by myself or by wishful thinking). I'm thinking the process will take a couple of years, but it will be so worth it!

4 comments:
I hope it works out with the construction company you interviewed with! At least you will stay in the same industry, as opposed to learning something totally new from scratch! (speaking as a fellow psych-major-turned-construction-industry-worker!) =-) New job, and braces to boot! It will be a whole new Erin! :) At least now you will know what your friends felt like in Jr. High when they all complained about getting their braces tightened...ahh, who doesn't want to go back to those junior high days? Wonder Years, anyone? :)
Actually Missy, I have not interviewed with the construction company yet. I have to sign up with the temp agency and they will set up the interview for me next week after I meet with them.
As far as braces go, we are seriously thinking about doing a consultation this summer and also talking to my regular doctor about it. Doing a consulatation is something I haven't actually done before (regarding braces...it means that I'm really serious about it!). It's looking like it will be about a 3 year process with the first year being palate expansion...not easy or fun from what I've heard.
Ah, Wonder Years...Love that show!
good luck with the job interviews and the temp agencies. i'm currently temp-ing for a gascard company. it's just a short term gig, but i needed to start working somewhere. i'm not too fond of my temp agency managers either. it's like they don't realize that they are in the human resources/personnel field. you have to have some sensitivity and compassion to work that area. and, a whole lot of patience!
i did the braces thing for two years. you have to be diligent with brushing and when wearing your retainers later. other than that, it wasn't too awful of an experience. if you are self-conscious of the braces, have you thought of invisi-braces? i don't know much about them, but it doesn't hurt to look into it, right?
hope that the interviews go well!
Erin- do not let that silly lady crush your self-esteem and self-confidence. You are worth so much more than that woman's comments. You're a child of the KING!!!
Post a Comment