Monday, April 02, 2007

The Eagle has landed!

I have watched several shows regarding Apollo 11, including the miniseries, "From the Earth to the Moon." One doesn't realize until watching those shows, how incredibly close the astronauts were to aborting the mission. They landed on the moon with under 30 seconds of remaining fuel, otherwise they would not have had enough fuel to make it back to the command/service module and go back home. I'm sitting there, watching these shows & biting my nails, wondering "Are they going to make it?" Well, of course they did!

What does this have to do with anything? It describes our week last week. We really enjoyed our hectic trip back to Indiana. Nearly every moment was planned in typical Long family fashion. The birthday party was fun, the drive down to Bloomington and then to Santa Claus was relaxing and the wedding was great as well. It was wonderful to catch up with so many people and believe me, we wish it could have been longer!

Unfortunately when we got home, Katelynn got sick with a nasty stomach virus. I'll leave it at that, but there were about 4 nights in a row where she wouldn't go to sleep because she felt horrible, as did we. I think all 3 of us were exhausted, frustrated and sleep-deprived. I guess that is what you sign up for when you have a little baby. All week I watched for signs of dehydration, worried she wasn't getting enough liquids in her and prayed over her that she would better soon! It was like watching the Apollo 11 mission: "When are they going to land???" Instead it was: "When is she going to get better?"

Friday was the major turning point, I think at least. Her fever had broken as well as her funky sleeping pattern (sleep during the day, scream at night) and she was keeping liquids and food down for the most part. Matt stayed home with her Friday so I could go in for my last day of work. Since I was paid for my remaining vacation, I wonder if I'm unemployed or simply on vacation...

Katelynn is back to her old self I'm happy to report. Matt is at work for a 4-day work week again. He has Good Friday off. And I'm at home, posting resumes and cleaning the house. We will post pictures of the trip soon, hopefully this week! We can finally exhale! Things are back to semi-normal....the eagle has landed! :)

No comments: